Job opportunity – Founding Director, GLOW Newcastle
16 November 2023
Founding Director, GLOW Newcastle Cultural Educational Partnership
3 days per week pro-rata £40,000 – £46,000 per year (depending on experience)
Fixed term contract until end of March 2025 with option to extend depending on resources
Closing date: 9am, Monday 11 December 2023
Newcastle's Cultural Educational Partnership - known as GLOW - is seeking a founding director.
You will be responsible for resource and partnership development, building assets for GLOW, managing communications with key funders, promoting GLOW and its work, as well as working with Newcastle Cultural Compact to help deliver its work with children and young people.
You will ensure the education and cultural sectors in the city of Newcastle are part of GLOW's programme design and development, and establish GLOW within the LCEP network in the north-east and across the country.
You will manage organisational development, including the creation, implementation, oversight and auditing of GLOW's policies and ensuring all relevant staff and freelancer training is completed and evidenced.
You will appoint and line manage a Programme Coordinator, and be the designated Safeguarding Officer for GLOW.
The Founding Director leads on strategy development, informed by our region's cultural and economic development strategies and identifying ways for GLOW to contribute to these agendas within a relevant business plan.
You will oversee programme and artistic development, making sure the programmes GLOW delivers are of the highest quality in artistic and engagement terms, and finding innovative ways of centring the engagement of young people, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds, in GLOW's work.
You will commission and monitor programme reporting, and publicise impact among stakeholders and the wider public, to grow audiences and appetite for GLOW's work.
You will manage GLOW's finances, set and manage organisational budgets, and prepare and clearly present GLOW's accounts to the board when requested.
You will manage the governance of the organisation, reporting to the Board, setting agendas for meetings and making sure meetings are minuted, so the Board can properly oversee operations.
You will undertake a skills audit of trustees and recruit new Board members to fill gaps in expertise and knowledge.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
Skills and Experience Required
- Demonstrable experience of fundraising
- Demonstrable experience of partnership development and management
- An appetite for innovation and entrepreneurialism
- Experience of working in cultural education and/or the educational sector
- Experience of managing budgets, preparing and presenting financial reports
- Understanding of Cultural Policy
- Well organised with close attention to detail
- Experience of managing creative projects.
- A leadership role in a similar organisation
- Experience of working with young people
- Experience of governance
- Experience and understanding of marketing and PR
- Experience of managing people
- Experience of recruiting people.
The Founding Director is responsible to the Board of Trustees for the following, as detailed in the job description:
- Resource and Partnership Development
- Organisational Development
- Strategy Development
- Programm /Artistic Development
- Financial Management
Terms and Conditions
- 21 hours across three days per week with one unpaid hour for lunch
- 25 days holiday (pro-rata) per year plus statutory bank holidays.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send your CV plus a covering letter of no more than three pages explaining why you would like the job, why you are qualified for the role and how you would go about securing a sustainable future for Glow.
Please email this to Anna Disley, Chair of GLOW by Monday 11 December 2023 at 9am to email@example.com. Please contact Anna with any questions you may have or to arrange a conversation about the role.
Interviews for the role will take place in central Newcastle on Friday 15 December 2023. We hope be in touch with successful candidates to arrange interviews by the end of Tuesday 12 December 2023.